Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Cake Topper

One of the crafting highlights of Tracy and Evan's wedding for me was being asked to make their cake topper with my mother. What an honor.

I made them with the clothespin doll kits that I have been working with this year. The body is a wooden clothespin, the head is a bead that sits on top, and there is a base to keep the doll upright. We divided the project according to our strengths. I handled the painting of the faces and Mom handled clothing them. We wanted to make them look as much like Evan and Tracy as possible. What do you think?

For the faces, I felt that the eyes were the most important part to try to recreate. I practiced a lot in drawings. I'm sure someone would have wondered what the heck was going on if they had walked in and seen their pictures blown up to 500% on my computer screen so I could see every detail and try to learn the lines of their eyes.

My mother made Tracy's dress as close to the design as she could, including pulling it to the side and putting a flower on her hip. The veil is made from antique lace. Evan is wearing a lovely grey suit with a purple tie. And although you can't see it, I put a little trinket, something special to both of them underneath the dress just for them to know about to personalize it.

Look how gorgeous it looked on the cake!

Mini-Thems!

xoxo E&T. Thank you.

3 comments:

Angelle said...

I had no idea you were so creative. That cake topper is amazing!!

Robyn Fallow Badman said...

Thanks! :)

Caroline said...

THAT LOOKS LIKE THEM@!!!!!!!