Wednesday, February 18, 2009

God I love a productive 3 day weekend

What I worked on:

Clothespin dolls! I've made these before and called them Springtime Fairies and made their little outfits out of fake flowers and stuff. This time I was inspired by another craft blog I follow to really focus on those little faces. How cute are they? I haven't named the one with black hair yet, but the redhead is definitely Jessica after an old friend of mine. How cute is she?

These dolls used to come in little bags containing the clothespin bodies, little stands and a larger bead head for you to glue together and do what you wish. My mother says she can't find the kits anymore in the stores and we'll have to look online. I made their little outfits out of fabric and felt, used acrylic paints for the head and feet and attempted pipe cleaners for arms. They seem to have hairy arms, so I'm going to try some different stuff with the others I'm working on.

Oh my gosh Jessica, look at those eyes! I could just pour my heart out to you! heehee.


Here's a cigar box I decoupaged with some of my new paper from my recent craft store shopping spree. I used Mod Podge to stick and seal it on there and will definitely be hitting it with some of Anita's, my favorite polyurethane. Gorgeous!

And this is a serving tray I wanted to make for myself because I just love to bring out a tray of snacks or drinks or whatever, so I decided I need an awesome homemade tray for that, especially since I can practically taste spring coming and sitting on the porch with friends. It's not done yet. I've only Mod Podged (yes I use it as a verb) this at this point and painted the sides, but once I'm satisfied with the design, I intend to give it a hefty coating of epoxy finish to give it that thick plastic indestructible surface I love so much.


Valentime's Day

Just had to post pics of what I like to call "My Love Table". My mother made me this little Valentime's tree, all covered with little dangly hearts and stars and I topped it with a miniature fairy she made for me out of pipe cleaners and a wooden bead head.

It sits next to our wedding photo, a vintage planter that looks like a couple in love and the wedding cake decoration my mother made for our wedding.


The doll shelf

In my previous post about organization I talked about the room that is going to be a guest room and how I need to decorate it with little things I love. This is my new doll shelf for my Madame Alexander dolls I collected when I was growing up. I have the shelves divided into three scenes which I KNOW will constantly be changing and having things added or moved. The top is Alice in Wonderland, the middle is Wizard of Oz and the bottom contains my nun collection.

On top of it sit two step stools my mother made. The one on the right she sewed when I was very little and it was always in my room. The one on the left is a hooked rug she made a couple years ago. They can't sit on the ground like they should or else my naughty kitty will claw out the stitches.

The Madame Alexander doll in my nun collection is Maria from the Sound of Music. She is flanked by a whole variety of other nuns including a praying nun planter, a squeaky toy nun, singing nuns and their little choir members, 2 penguins that are trying not to be spotted, a boxing nun puppet, a tiny singing nun and of course no nun collection would be complete without Nunzilla. My mother started this collection when I went to college at The Catholic University of America. We are not catholic and never have been, but there's just something about those nuns!

Look at this face! Normally, I am of the school of thought that dolls come alive at night and try to kill you as silently as possible. But for Madame Alexanders, I make an exception.

This is the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland.

And here's part of my Wizard of Oz scene. Look at the hat on that munchkin! And of course there's Dorothy and the Cowardly Lion. I also stuck some of my little scottie planters on this shelf because of Toto.


And I won't show you pictures of all of them (unless you want me to), so last but not least, here's the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland.


Clearly I was busy! That room is all nice and clean now and getting cuter and cuter. Good will is coming Friday to pick up the stack of stuff I put out on the porch. My craft room is crafty again and it won't be long before every man and beast in this house is covered with glitter, just the way I like them.

10 comments:

mrs. fitch said...

how do you solve a problem like maria??? lovin' it all, can't wait for our craft weekend and i can finally sleep in me/tracy's bedroom.

MAM said...

cute crafts! You mentioned Anita's polyurethane - we can't find it here - is it available where you are? Getting desperate to find some - such a great finish!
Martha Ann

Robyn Fallow Badman said...

Thanks Martha! It is all around here, lemme do some research for you and see about where it's available.

Robyn Fallow Badman said...

Well I've got my Anita's here and it's funny that you can't find it there as the factory that it's made in is in Georgia, which is closer to you than it is to me! I get mine at our local Michaels or ACMoore craft stores. Funny thing, is I can't find it online ANYWHERE. Not even the company that makes it. When I googled "anita's polyurethane" I got limited responses just of others who have used it like I have! Looks like it's a matter of luck of the draw in finding it. If you see it, MAKE SURE YOU BUY IT!
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=%22anita%27s+polyurethane%22&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=a50ffc77dda4c0bc

Paper Trail Gallery said...

It appears that Michaels has discontinued carrying Anita's Polyurethane... makes me sad as that is what I soley used for my pendants. Guess I have to find something else to use.

sarah said...

is there something similar to anita's that isn't mod podge??

Robyn Fallow Badman said...

I have a bunch of stuff, but I'm not sure I have anything that compares. But now that it's such a discussed issue, I will go do some research and report shortly. I think we can agree that Mod Podge is just too tacky and that is the problem. There has to be a good alternative.

Kathy said...

Have you had any luck with finding the Anita's? I just found out that my Michael's and AC Moore do not carry it anymore! Thank you!
Kathy

Kathy said...

If you have any information, please email me.
Thanks!

Robyn Fallow Badman said...

Well guys, I did my search of the craft stores and haven't been able to find something similar to Anita's. Looks like Mod Podge is the most common find. But the quest is not over! If the craft stores don't have something comparable, next will be the art stores.