Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Porch Furniture

I inherited some wicker furniture years ago that I put on my porch. It was light sort of minty green and had cushions covered in white floral vintage looking material. All of it was kind of getting ragged, but it wasn't until I tried to wash the cushion covers and they disintegrated that I decided it was time for a makeover.

Mom and I went to JoAnn's Fabrics and picked out some outdoor fabric with a pattern of hydrangeas on it and I came home and got to work! I wrapped the fabric around the cushion and measured them, then sewed up both sides from the fold to make sort of a pocket cover for the cushion to slide inside of. Then I folded up the ends as if I were wrapping a gift and hand sewed them shut. Here's the corner of one showing the machine stitches up the left side and the hand stitches on the right.


I also made 2 throw pillows with some matching blue outdoor fabric.


Then I spray painted the chair and sofa white, waited patiently for them to dry and set it all up on the porch! I love them! They turned out great. This was my first time doing an upholstery project, and discovering that it's ok to be imperfect was awesome.



1 comment:

cc said...

The dark green of the leaves was the color I was trying to convince you to paint your house when I saw you!

Or not really convince as much as trying to put into words.